Pages



Tuesday 14 July 2015

Chocolate-Cherry Overnight Oats | Michaela Cooks


I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love sweet things. I could eat dessert all day if there were no consequences. Unfortunately, there are consequences so I'll just have to deal with developing my own little ways to make healthy breakfasts taste like an ooey gooey dessert!



This is one is for you black forest gateaux lovers (hi Mum, I'm looking at you!). The combination of raw cacao and cherry compote (see here for recipe) is enough to trick you into thinking you're eating something naughty. Combine this with the creaminess of the coconut yogurt and you've got yourself a dessert-like, dairy free, no added sugar breakfast. It's okay, you can thank me later.

If you're a bit put off by raw cacao, just bear with me. People often think it is fake chocolate for some reason and are surprised when it actually smells and tastes like good quality dark chocolate. Even my boyfriend was a bit sceptical about raw cacao, but after smelling it and giving it a taste, he's been convinced! Raw cacao is the actual chocolate part of chocolate and is good for you. It is packed full of iron & potassium and even has more protein per 100g than chicken, tuna and peanuts. Mixing the raw cacao with the creamy yogurt sweetens it a bit and gives it the taste and texture of chocolate pudding without all the nastiness you would expect to see on the ingredients list. Go on, give it a go!

Yields: 1 huge portion or two smaller portions

Ingredients

1/2 cup of rolled oats
125g coconut yogurt (I use CoYo)
1 tbsp raw cacao
1/2 cup almond milk, separated into two 1/4 cups
2-3 tbsp of cherry compote

Method

1. Mix the rolled oats, coconut yogurt and 1/4 of the almond milk until fully combined. Take 1/3 of the oat mixture out and place this in a separate bowl, adding the raw cacao. Mix until fully combined then cover both oat mixtures and leave for 6 hours, or overnight for best results.

2. When it comes time to eat, add a splash of the second 1/4 cup of almond milk to the cacao oats and the rest to the plain oats. Give them both a good stir. The oat mixtures should both be thick and creamy, add more almond milk here if you prefer a thinner consistency.

3. Pop the cherry compote in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm it up.

4. Layer the oat mixtures in a glass and then top with the warmed cherry compote. Or, if you aren't going to be serving it to anyone in particular and won't be taking pictures of it, then slop it all in a bowl, give it a good mix and enjoy that chocolate cherry heaven!

The oat mixture from step 1 will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the refrigerator, making this a great make ahead breakfast.

Question time: What are your favourite overnight oats combinations?

Take care,

4 comments:

  1. I think I could eat desert for every meal as well! This looks delicious, i love sweet breakfasts :) x

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone! Everyone around me is always like "how can you always want dessert" and I'm just like "uh..how can you not?" hahaha. Thanks for reading! :)
      Michaela x

      Delete
  2. Looks so good! Might have to try this myself. I've always said I've got a separate stomach just for desserts as I can always fit one in no matter what! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you're a girl after my own heart, haha! I'm much the same! I went for dinner with a few friends last weekend, terribly hungover and completely stuffed so I couldn't even finish my main course but I still ordered (and finished) dessert. The poor waiter seemed a bit confused when I ordered dessert after telling him I was too full to finish my main - some people just don't get it :P.
      Michaela x

      Delete

Blog design by aleelilydesigns